Naremburn is located approximately 6.5 kilometres from Sydney CBD, and is well serviced by buses to the City and Chatswood. It is one of the smallest of the Willoughby City suburbs and is also one of the oldest.
Naremburn retains much of its original architecture, with plenty of turn-of-the-century weatherboard cottages still in existence, along with Federation cottages, a scattering of Victorian terraces and some original sandstone homes built from locally quarried stone. On the western side of the Expressway, there are many modern low rise apartment buildings.
The Naremburn local shops, cafes and restaurants are on the corner of Willoughby Road, and it's just a short walk from there to Crows Nest's café society. It's also only a few minutes walk to Willoughby Road shops and cafes. The area has extensive parkland, including Naremburn Park off Park Road; West Street Reserve; Flat Rock Reserve; and Bicentennial Park which provides sports ovals, Willoughby Leisure Centre and walking and cycling tracks through Flat Rock Creek valley to the waterfront of Long Bay. One of the attractions of Naremburn is its proximity to the Harbour Bridge and City, with traffic from most streets having to negotiate just one traffic light to get onto the expressway and into Sydney CBD.
Naremburn was first settled from 1853, and was originally a battler's district - variously known as Central Township, Dog Town, Pension Town and Struggle Town. The area was well known for its sandstone quarries, with stone transported along Flat Rock Creek. Other early businesses included piggeries, slaughterhouses, dairies and plasterworks. Sir Henry Lawson lived from time to time in Market Street and is said to have used a cave, just below what was then Naremburn Falls, as a refuge. The terrain of Naremburn means it has always been cut off from neighbouring suburbs, and more recently the area has also been isolated by the Warringah Expressway.
A bridge crossing Flat Rock Creek was first built in 1868 and rebuilt in 1886 (it is still used as part of Willoughby Road), and the Cammeray Suspension Bridge on the boundary of Northbridge was built in 1892. This was closed in 1936 due to safety concerns, was rebuilt and re-opened in 1939 for pedestrian traffic only. Naremburn is part of the City of Willoughby. For more information about Willoughby City Council, services and history, please visit the Willoughby City Council website.